Monday, November 18, 2013

Exploring Shanghai

I can't believe this semester is almost over. It seems like yesterday when I was packing my bags to leave for China. Time has really flown by. I remember when I first got here, everything seemed so foreign and now I feel like I sort of belong here, like this has become a kind of home. I love it here.
As happy as I am to go home, which I am really excited about, I am also sad to leave this place.


Enough of that though. After a long week, my friends and I decided to take a break and go explore the city. We left early that morning and went in search of one of my favorite coffee shops here Cafe 85, which is a Japanese coffee chain. There are a bunch of stores all over town and compared to regular coffee shops' 30 yuan here coffee is only 8.5 yuan for a cup. 

Since I've been here, I've made it my job to look for and find all the coffee shops here in Shanghai. I can probably tell you which ones are good and bad, which ones are expensive, and where in the city you can find them. Problems of a coffee addict. 
After coffee we got on the metro and headed to the Shanghai Library. Once we walked inside, I think all of our mouths fell open, this place was huge. There were four floors and each floor has two sides to it. When you went inside one of the sections, the books went on and on. It was pretty amazing. The fourth floor was all international books which I thought was really cool. It makes sense though because Shanghai has about 1 million expats and so many Chinese learning English.
They had a statue of Confucius outside which I thought was really clever and neat. But the library was beautiful, one of the nicest places I have seen in Shanghai so far.
After the library, we decided to walk through town and just see where we end up. We walked along HuaiHai road which is one of the two main shopping roads in Shanghai. Usually I have been here at night, so during the day it seemed totally different. It's crazy here. The streets are line with one designer store after another. You have Porsche, Land Rover, and then BMW on one street corner and then the street in between has Tiffany & Co., Channel, Gucci, and so on and this goes on forever. It truly amazes me at the amount of money there is here. 
That night we got dinner at a vegetarian restaurant, which was pretty good they said (I'm not a big fan of veggies). And then after we went to a gay club/bar. It was really interesting. Two of our friends decided they wanted to check it out, and it was a lot of fun. The event for that night was Egyptian Lover and we had to laugh because we were hanging out upstairs and there was this guy sprawled out on a couch in the corner. He kept eyeing us and we didn't know what to make of it. He went on to be the Egyptian Lover, but it was nothing like what we though. We was just the DJ, to some pretty bad music I must say. I'd let to a funny evening though.

The Shanghai Library


We even found a Hooters here


I thought this was pretty cool. 


I was a fun day, much needed. It's back to school work now and studying. I'll try to write more, as the days dwindle down. 

See you soon!

Love,
Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment