Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 8 - Yellow River, Museum, and heading Home!

We were woken up this morning at 5 a.m. by the train lady picking up all the trash in every compartment. When she finally left we were able to go back to sleep but then at 6:30 she was back; she wanted our sheets. So we woke up pretty early, everyone was stumbling over each other trying to brush their teeth, wash their face, and get dressed. It was a funny sight. 
When we finally got to Lanzhou, we dropped our stuff off on the bus and went to get brunch. We got KFC, which was the only choice apart from a Chinese fast food chain, or spicy beef noodles. Since I had gotten sick twice already I was scared to try something new and didn't want to risk it again.
After brunch they took us to the city museum of Lanzhou. I have been to the Shanghai Museum, but this was nothing like it. I loved it. There were exhibition halls for dinosaurs, Chinese history, the Silk Road, fossils, traditional history, as well as prehistoric life, especially along the Silk Road. It was really interesting to see, especially the way the exhibitions and things were presented here in China compared to back at home in the states. 
After the museum our tour give wanted to show us the yellow river. It is supposed to be one of the biggest and most important rivers here in China. When we arrived at the river, all we sad was this brown yucky water, we had to laugh because all the signs said Yellow River Mother. We walked onto one of the boats docked on the river and they were building a raft of some sort. It took us a while to realize that this was a pig raft. Apparently they take the pig, clean it out completely, fill it with air and tie it up, and then tie a bunch of them together to create a raft. It a really neat idea but pretty gross I must say.
Before we headed back to the airport they gave us a little free time and we spent it walking around Lanzhou and finding something to eat. At that point most of us were so tired and all we wanted was our bed and a nice shower, we went looking for anything that seemed close to home. We found Pizza Hut, which is actually a really nice restaurant here in China. We had a great meal, and belly's full got on the bus to head to the airport.
It was a great week and it was all so interesting. I am so happy that I got the chance to go travel part of the Silk Road. The history is amazing here, and the towns around and on it still have this feeling of the past to them. Its as if technology and the fast growing pace hasn't hit them yet, I hope it won't. 
I have to say though, my favorite part was the desert and of course the camels. Living on and by the water, the desert is something very foreign to me but also so intriguing. I can't wait to go visit another desert and hopefully ride more camels.


Pictures will follow shortly. Sorry it has taken me so long. Being sick, catching up, and a lot of school work keeps me busy.

I hope you enjoyed my week trip, or a little glimpse into what we did!

Love,
Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment